June 24, 2016

Malacca 2016

 A few months back, I made a half-hearted decision to follow my friends to a pantun (malay poetry) competition in Malacca. It turned out to be one of the few decisions I am very glad to have made. This is a list of thoughts that I wish to express to everyone, and here, because I absolutely didn't have the guts nor social skills to do so personally.


1) It revealed a different side to myself. Honestly. The whole experience with pantun was a purely recreational one, a pursuit borne out of peer pressure and stress relief of which I didn't expect to yield anything out of. It turned out to reveal a different side to myself, one who is less logical, less organised, less me. Where I was always serious and focused and inclined on getting things done, I was more expressive, relaxed, and more open, to things, and people. 

I really enjoyed exercising my language proficiency. Heck, it wasn't even about proficiency. The Malaysians had that; they were powerful with their big words and booming voices. What I practiced was using small words to convey big messages, since my vocabulary was lacking. But oh, what fun it was, playing around with words and crafting up creative ways to say I love you, or  I absolutely loathe you, and whatnot. I thoroughly had fun exchanging pantun with the Malaysians, and I realised that I sorely missed this; being this language-y person, who didn't care about the world and its numbers and facts, and just bringing colour to a grey sky, with beautiful words, and eloquent music, and all that rainbow stuff. My artistic side (I consider language an art, apologies for differing opinions) was, in a way, unleashed, and I really, really needed that.







2) I am thankful. To everyone. I came home with a neat little award. On the front it says Pemantun Baru Lelaki Terbaik. And I have everyone to thank for that. My teachers taught me a huge deal, and my friends with whom I practiced together were such good examples to imitate, learn from and improve on. I'm not sure if anyone harvests ill feelings towards it, cause it may seem undeserving (there were many better than myself) but I really hope there isn't any. I really really feel thankful for the award, and to all my friends and teachers who have taught me. The award isn't for me, but it is dedicated to them; for being supportive, knowledgeable and ever so energetic. Thank you, all :)


Till next time.

1 comment: