December 07, 2012

D-Day part 1



  As I trudged through the blast doors that enveloped the opening of the day surgery centre, my mind was away thinking of the other guys who were meeting up at Jurong for a swim. I wanted to keep my mind off what I'm going through, I felt it was sort of a huge farce of a problem. Cataract surgery and the whole process, as I've read, seemed pretty minor and uneventful. The risks were small, the duration even smaller. The operation took thirty minutes, the hours that passed will be used to shake off the anesthetics.
         
                              Still wouldn't mind splashing in some water though.

After waiting the trademark hospital duration of approximately five thousand years, I am led into a ward-ish room filled averagely with patients and nurses all minding their own business. I'm assigned a bed and tended to by a nurse. I'm asked questions, drug allergies, loose teeth, any medication I'm on, any fever. No no no no no. I was given then some hospital garb to change into before coming back and answering yet more questions. After quiz time was over, the anesthetist came by to have a look. Probably the jolliest Indian guy I've met so far this year. The positive energy seemed to radiate throughout the whole room. I yawned a reply. It was still pretty bloody early in the morning, and the surgeon was late, so anesthetic were probably not needed to knock myself out.


Soon after, I was wheeled through the ward into the operating theatre on my bed. Al I saw were the glaring fluorescents whizzing through. It almost seemed unreal. I couldn't believe what I was going through. As I'm pushed into the room, I'm transferred by my bottom onto another bed equipped with all sorts of medical equipment. A heart monitor faces the anesthetist and a high power lamp looms above the head of who was probably the lead surgeon. I make out the anesthetist affirming that he has allowed the anesthetic to flow through into my body through the tube stabbed into the artery of my hand. A nurse brings over an oxygen mask for me to breathe in. A few awkward moments pass as everyone waits for me to knock out. I breathe in the cold oxygen and felt myself relaxing. I felt my heartbeat slowing. My eyes suddenly felt droopy, and everything suddenly blacked out.


I came to in the ward, the first glances back into this world blinding. From one eye anyway. The other was closed shut in an eye shield, safely protected from any sort of danger. I still felt really really weak though, so I relaxed again and soon I knocked out yet again. When I awoke again, I still felt pretty bloody weak hahaha the anesthetic was some strong dope. I had to get up and leave for home though, otherwise it was a night in hospital, and a hole in my parents' pocket.

After leaving I was still weaker than normal. My throat was unusually dry, my head pounding and I had half my vision. I come back home and slept again. The advice I got was to refrain from any sports, any bright sunlight and generally doing anything with my left eye. That generally also took away half of my life and two weeks off my holiday time, as I had to become a couch potato. My right eye is due next week, and I sure am not looking foward to wasting any more holiday time.


In the wise words of infamous immature idiots idiots, YOLO.


No comments:

Post a Comment